The Crazy World (tm) of Rob Miles

Thursday, September 18, 2003

The new lab is coming along. With a bit of extra overtime we should have everything in place for the first students tomorrow. Rather unfortunately (or something) I'm in Doncaster attending an exam board tomorrow, so I shan't be around when the lab comes to life. A pity, but there you are.


Got the final version of the video back from Microsoft today. Very good, even though I'm in it. Of course, if you want to see the production you'll have to come along to Hull on Wednesday next week, but take it from me it is worth the trip.....


And so to the first programming lecture. Dunno why, but I love teaching programming. And the first year seem a really great bunch (although I suppose I must be careful what I say because some of them might read this). We started by considering what an algorithm is and isn't. (Clue - it is a recipe but it is not a shopping list). Then we tried to make an algorithm to stack a bunch of coloured plastic barrels in order of size, largest first. It is something that anyone would do without thinking, but for a robot or computer you have to do the thinking for it. And since you don't know what you did when you did the task...I'm awarding a prize for the best english version of the algorithm. By best I mean the most idiot proof. If you want to have a go, the tower looks like this:



Note: This is the first ever picture in my Blog. More later....





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home