The Crazy World (tm) of Rob Miles

Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Speeding Terms

Another busy day. Is the semester only two days old? Met up with some of the students on the .NET masters today at the introductory lunch. They are really keen, which is great. Next week the course gets up to full speed and the real fun begins.

Found out something "interesting" about my Microsoft Smartphone today. Smartphones are mostly wonderful - based on Windows Pocket PC and fitted with a slot for MMC devices. I got a nice big memory card, filled it up with choice tracks and I've been happily listening to high quality music using Media Player on the phone. Then I, rather stupidly unplugged the phone from the cradle whilst I had the memory card open in explorer on the PC desktop. And lost the lot. I've tried to reproduce the fault, but of course it works fine every time now. But once is enough. I'm going to keep backups of the cards from now on..

Went to see "Calendar Girls". Not my choice particularly, but enjoyable all the same. Simple enough plot - bunch of WI (that is Women's Institute) ladies decide to make a nude calendar to raise money for a good cause - but I get the impression that the unseen hand of the producer had decided to complicate things and add bits to make the film more "marketable" and last longer. Some of the scenes seemed rather contrived and straight out of the "plucky little team taking on fusty institution and then learning to handle success and fame" book. Or perhaps I'm just too jaded and cynical. Anyhoo, some wonderful moments and it is nice to see a film with a proper happy ending, even if there weren't any car chases or spaceship battles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home