The Crazy World (tm) of Rob Miles

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Pesky Wasps II

Pesky wasps are back again. They have returned to their nesting place above the porch as a cheery welcome to anyone daft enough to visit Chez Miles. Next door are having the council come round, at an expense of 40 quid, to deal with their wasp's nest (although admittedly theirs is at the top of the house). Anyhoo, no 40 quid bill for me (I forgot to ring the council). So instead it is out with the £1.79 wasp killer from the local hardware store.

The instructions said "Direct at entrance to nest and squeeze". So, wearing my best elbow length gloves I took careful aim and let fly. Nothing happened. So I tried again. About half a teaspoon full of the white powder dribbled out. So I tried a mighty double hander.

The results were most impressive. The lid of the container popped off and a huge jet of powder flew out and up into the air, forming a large white cloud of wasp death which drifted lazily over the garden and landed on my car. So it was out with the bucket and sponge to try and wash the stuff away before whatever lethal chemical is in it ate a hole in my paintwork. I think/hope that a fair amount actually went into the nest as well, so we shall see. As for me, I'm pondering about the symptoms of insecticide poisoning and wondering why I can't feel the tips of my fingers....

Pesky wasps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home