The Crazy World (tm) of Rob Miles

Monday, September 20, 2004

Too Much Irony In My Diet

The students are back on campus. They have been here a week now and things are starting to settle down(i.e. they've stopped using maps to find the library).

We had our first lab last week and I'm beginning to worry if I might not have been a bit too ironic. I actually like working in the practicals because it is very interesting to see how different people attack the same problem. And you can have some great conversations. But perhaps I forget that I am a fallible person when having these conversations:

Student: "I've forgotten my password"
Me: "What's your username, I'll look it up"
Student: "I don't know that either"
Me: "It's on the registration document that I asked you to bring to the lab"
Student: "I left it at home"
Me: "Oh. OK. I know how to deal with this. Have you got a pen"
(Student rummages around in bag and produces biro)
Me: "Now write 'Idiot' on your forehead so that I know for next time..."

I did sort everything out. We have a bunch of temprary usernames for just this eventuality. But I must remember that I am the person that sent an Ebay package to the wrong address.

Incidentally, getting people to write things on their forehead is quite a good party game thingy (but I'd put some paper there to avoid too much embarrasment). You tend to write things the wrong way round which can be quite amusing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home