The Crazy World (tm) of Rob Miles

Tuesday, October 07, 2003

The Price of Being Right

A wellwisher has just told me that I've had the apostrophe in my site name in the wrong place for ages, making me appear stupid and illiterate. He is presently being hunted down with dogs and will be dealt with in a suitable manner. I think that accordion lessons would probably be appropriate. (as in "Welcome to Heaven - here is your harp" and "Welcome to Hell - here is your accordion")

Note that I don't really mean this of course - but what's that barking noise in the distance....

And so to the "University Challenge". As part of the 75th Anniversary Celebrations for the University it was deemed a nice idea for a bunch of students and staff to engage in mental combat in the same manner as the celebrated quiz show. For some reason I ended up on the staff team (it is a long time since I could pass as a student). The event took place tonight. The chairman told me he had prepared 800 questions. I told him that I didn't think I actually knew as many things as that, so the situation looked a bit rocky at that point. Fortunately the other three members of the team (hi to Vanessa, Eric and Robert) seemed to know a lot more than 800 things, and so by the half way mark we were only 5 points behind. And thanks to a magnificent spurt just after the break, where we were able to show that we knew quite a lot about the 1960's (kind of an unfair advantage having been alive in that era when the competition wasn't I suppose) we managed to run out the winners by 25 points. Quite relieved about this, it occurred to me afterwards that we had a lot more to lose than the students. Anyway, a magnificent victory and ginger pops all round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home